Federal Criminal Lawyers in Manhattan KS can Help you Face Drug Charges

by | Jun 10, 2015 | Lawyers and Law Firm

Federal laws criminalize the cultivation, sale and possession of cannabis. Each state in the US has its own laws, but where these laws conflict with Federal law, the government’s rules supersede state law. Drug crimes are prosecuted by states, but due to the decriminalization of cannabis in some states, federal prosecutions are becoming common.

What Amount Violates Federal Law?

Any amount can get a person into trouble at the federal level. Possession of even one cannabis cigarette can be punished by up to a year’s jail time and a $1000 fine. Second offenses carry a mandatory 15-day sentence, and any offense after that can result in a $5000 fine. If you are facing cannabis possession charges, call Federal Criminal Lawyers in Manhattan KS right away.

Selling Drugs

The sale of cannabis carries severe federal penalties. The sale of less than fifty kilos carries up to five years in prison and $250,000 in fines. Selling more than that amount is rare, but penalties get much worse. Distributing anything more than five grams to a person under 21, or selling within 1000 feet of a school automatically doubles all punishments listed above.

Cases Where Individuals are State-Licensed to Grow Medicinal Marijuana

Because the government doesn’t recognize medicinal cannabis’ legality, anyone prosecuted under federal law cannot use state law as a defense. That means, if you grow cannabis and you do it in accordance with your state’s medicinal cannabis laws, Federal agents can still come in and arrest you. If you grow in your state, you should contact Federal Criminal Lawyers in Manhattan KS even if you aren’t facing arrest.

Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer for a Federal Drug Case?

Despite the increasing acceptance of cannabis, it is still illegal on the federal level. A criminal offense involving federal cannabis laws can result in large fines or a long prison sentence. If you have been arrested on federal drug charges, you should call a criminal defense lawyer right away. A federal criminal lawyer with us will give you a free consultation, and they can explain how state and federal laws intersect in drug cases.

Recent Articles