What to do About a Worker’s Compensation Dispute

May, 2014 by

Accidents and injuries can happen at any time, but when they happen while you are working you may be eligible for Workman’s Compensation in Rochester NY. Worker’s compensation is cash or medical bill payments to cover the medical care and time off of work you need while recovering from a work-related injury. The basic steps for obtaining worker’s compensation after an injury is to seek medical care and then file for the compensation. Unfortunately, sometimes an employer or their insurance company, who pays the worker’s compensation, may dispute your claim.

When an employer or their insurance company disputes a claim, they must say why they are disputing the claim. Some common reasons for a dispute are claims that the employee was on drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident, that they injured themselves on purpose to file a claim, that they injured themselves while trying to injure another person, or that the injury did not occur during the hours the employee was working. In each of these cases, the way you disprove the dispute can vary, so it’s best to have a lawyer help you with the dispute.

A lawyer can help you by gathering evidence relating to your claim. For example, if they claim that the injury happened while you were not on the clock, your lawyer may be able to obtain video tape evidence or witness statements that back up your claim. They may also have to prove that you were following all safety rules and regulations, or that you passed a drug or alcohol test immediately after the accident occurred. Once your lawyer has proven that you are eligible for the worker’s compensation, you will receive the cash payments or payments to cover your medical bills.

If you have been injured at work, it’s important that you respond to any disputes quickly and with the evidence necessary to prove that you should receive Workman’s Compensation in Rochester NY. In order to make sure that you stand a good chance of having the dispute dismissed and getting the worker’s compensation, you may want to hire a lawyer to help you. To know more visit Vincent J. Criscuolo & Associates in Rochester NY.

Related Posts

Share This