How Handle Worcester Mold Damage In Your Home

October, 2013 by Alma Abell

Mold is a fungus that can be found on almost any organic surface. Mold thrives in environments that are damp, warm and humid. Mold normally grows in filamentous hyphae which are long, branching structures. The thin, nearly transparent hyphae combine to form a mycelium. Each individual mycelium is considered to be a single organism and often appears in the form of a “fuzzy” mass on the surface of an organic material or any area that provides a hospitable environment. Mold reproduce by relaxing spores which can travel through the air. The spores are so tiny that they cannot be seen without a microscope. When a spore lands on an area that is wet and humid, the mold begins to grow.

Mold is not limited to outdoors. Inside homes, mold can thrive in showers, basements and other areas with higher levels of humidity. Mold can also be found in homes that have severe moisture issues or ongoing plumbing leaks. One of the biggest factors in mold growth is moisture. By reducing the moisture and humidity in a home, mold growth can be slowed or stopped. Plumbing leaks should be fixed completely before cleaning the mold infested areas. If the problem is not corrected, mold will continue to grow. If Worcester Mold Damage is found on porous materials, such a some ceilings tiles or carpet, the materials may needed to be replaced. Mold can grow in the tiniest of spaces including the small pores found in some materials. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, mold problems that span less than 10 square feet can typically be handled by the homeowner or renter. For larger mold issues, a professional service may be required.

Mold can cause health issues for those who are sensitive to it. Sneezing, coughing, wheezing, eyes irritations and skin rashes are just a few of the symptoms that may occur. For those with asthma or other respiratory conditions, symptoms could be worsened by mold exposure. If you are sensitive to mold, cleaning an area affected by mold is generally not recommended. For those who decide to clean a small mold problem on their own, they are advised to use gloves, goggles and wear a mask. If you are uncomfortable handling a mold situation on your own, it is better hire a professional service to help.

For more information¬†please visit –¬†


Related Posts

Share This