Tips From the Pediatric Dentist in Knoxville TN on Preventing Cavities
Taking care of your child’s teeth is extremely important for the health of their smile. Brushing and flossing your child’s teeth twice a day can help tremendously in keeping cavities away. Though taking care of your child’s teeth at home is important, it should not be the only dental care they receive. Through the Pediatric Dentist in Knoxville TN, your child’s teeth and gums can stay strong and healthy, so cavities do not affect their dental health. This information will help you to fully understand how you can help your child avoid cavities in their teeth.
How Can You Help to Prevent Cavities in Your Child’s Teeth?
* Brushing and flossing are crucial for good oral health. You will need to do this for your child when he or she is younger. As your child grows older, he or she can take care of this task with supervision. You should never leave your child to perform oral health procedures until they can show proficient use of a toothbrush and floss.
* When your child is young, make sure you use a non-fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride toothpastes should not be swallowed, so you will need to wait to use this special paste until your child understands the paste cannot be swallowed.
* Flossing should begin as soon as your child’s teeth begin to close in together. Using floss pics can make it easier to floss, especially when you are teaching your child the basics of flossing.
* Aside from brushing and flossing, you also need to make sure your child eats a healthy diet. A wide variety of fruits and vegetables can give your child the nutrition needed, for strong and healthy teeth.
* As a part of a healthy diet, you need to make sure your child does not drink sugary drinks and avoids candy as much as possible. These should be saved for special treats and your child’s teeth should be brushed after consuming them.
If your child is in need of dental care, you need to contact the Pediatric Dentist in Knoxville TN.