Pneumonia and How It Should Be Dealt With
Pneumonia is a type of infectious complication that is usually characterized by an inflammation of the lungs. It often threatens the lives of people, especially children and seniors. The disease occurs more frequently in winter and can be caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites. The most common is those caused by bacteria, like pneumococcus. If you have been experiencing, chest pain, fevers, chills, and/or coughing for more than a couple of days, it is advised that you seek Walk In Medical Care in Goshen, NY immediately.
Viral pneumonia is often due to the flu virus, while caused by fungi which is spread by inhaling dust or air that carries spores. These spores consist of coccidiodes, histoplasmosis, cryptococcus, aspergillus and other microorganisms. There are some rare cases of aspiration pneumonia, which occurs after surgery when some liquids or acids seep into the lungs. Pneumonia is more common in men and in older people, as well as those who have weakened immune systems.
There are two types of this disease:
* Typical pneumonia, which is characterized by an abrupt start. However, it sometimes arises after a cold or flu and begins with severe chills, high fever and dry cough that becomes wet or productive.
* Atypical pneumonia, which starts with headaches, fatigue, malaise, and a dry or hacking cough. You may also have a fever without chills and chest pain that increases when you cough. There may be frequent nausea, vomiting, muscle and joint pain, as well.
The symptoms of pneumonia can vary depending on the cause and the damage caused by the infection. In general, the main and most common symptoms are:
* Severe pain in the chest when inhaling.
* Coughing with phlegm.
* Chest pain.
* Difficulty breathing, along with shortness of breath.
* Greenish or yellow sputum, very thick.
* High fever.
* Sudden chills.
Pneumonia is a disease that, if not controlled, can be fatal. Therefore, you should follow your doctor’s instructions to the letter and not stop treatment, even if you feel better. A relapse can be very dangerous. For more information on how you can get better, seek help from your local Walk In Medical Care in Goshen, NY today. Visit Website.