Do You Need Transmission Repair in Shoreline? Here’s How to Tell
If your car is equipped with an automatic transmission, you may wonder what happens when that transmission begins to fail. In this article, we will list some of the most common signs of a failing transmission.
* Gear slippage: If your transmission’s gears are slipping, it might feel as if you’re in one gear and the car suddenly switches to another. Your engine’s noise may change pitch, and it may emit an occasional whine. Your car may feel underpowered, struggle to get up hills, and have trouble accelerating.
* Rough shifting: A car with a failing transmission may be reluctant to shift gears, and when shifts do occur, they can be rough. In some cases, you may hear or feel a thud or a clunk when shifting, and your car may have a hard time building speed.
* Delayed movement: In this instance, you will notice a lag between the time you put your car in drive and when it starts to move. When shifting out of park, there may be a pause as you depress the accelerator, but the car will not move forward right away.
* Fluid leaks: A transmission is a sealed unit, and it should not leak fluid under any circumstance. If you notice dark spots on your garage floor or driveway, put paper or cardboard on top of them to determine if the leaks are still active.
If a leak exists, check the color of the fluid. Transmission fluid is typically bright red, but can also be darker in color. Don’t try to refill it yourself-;take your car to a transmission repair shop because overfilling can cause more problems than it solves.
* Indicator lights: A “Service Engine Soon” light may not always indicate a transmission issue, but if it accompanies any of the above signs, you should have it looked at as soon as possible. Warning lights usually mean that your car’s engine computer is generating an error code, which a shop can easily diagnose. Transmission problems don’t solve themselves-if you notice any of these signs, take your vehicle in for Transmission Repair in Shoreline as soon as possible.